Updated: 2 days ago
The Landscape Manager position is a hands-on working supervisory position that oversees, directs, and administers landscape-related horticulture functions at Historic London Town and Gardens. Performs all aspects of grounds maintenance and landscaping. The Landscape Manager works closely with volunteers and other horticulture staff. This position reports directly to the Director of Horticulture.
Position details: This is a full-time position 40 hrs/week, starting at $40,000.00.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide general grounds maintenance and basic care of the gardens including: garden bed weeding, mowing, trimming, leaf blowing, edging; watering lawns, garden beds, and potted plants; fertilizing/pesticide application; turf installation; rain garden/water feature care; garden paths restoration, weeding and cleaning; irrigation repair; rake, weed and edge lawns; grade and prepare base for laying sod and seed; prune shrubs, perennials’ tree and brush removal, and other related tasks. As needed, planning and scheduling landscape projects in collaboration with horticulture and facilities department.
• Oversee and administer contracts for external landscape-related companies and contractors (mowing, irrigation, pest control, seasonal mulching, leaf clean-up, etc.)
• Assist with general clean-up operations including: paths clean up; snow removal; remove leaves, sticks, and other debris from grounds; clear sidewalks, parking lots, gutters, and catch basins.
• Operate small and large mechanical equipment used for grounds maintenance/general labor operations including: tractor, push and riding mowers, tillers, string trimmers, and blowers.
• As directed, supervise other seasonal horticulture staff and volunteers for certain projects and daily needs.
• Perform general labor tasks of moderate to heavy nature as assigned by supervisor.
• Assist with plant identification, accession record keeping and other plant ID related projects
• Responsible for maintaining work area and performing job duties in a manner which complies with federal, state, and London Town safety policies.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Horticulture.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• Willingness and ability to perform physical work outside in all weather conditions
• Ability to carry, climb, stoop, reach, dig and load and unload various objects
• Ability to operate equipment and various power tools, including but not limited to, pole saw, chainsaws, blowers, mowers, weed eaters, tillers, as well as a variety of gardening hand tools
• Must be willing to work independently or as part of a team in a variety of weather conditions
• Summers are hot and humid with exposure to biting insects and irritant plants i.e. poison ivy
• This position consists almost entirely of outdoor work, barring extreme temperatures or weather events
This is a 40 hour per week position usually consisting of five, 8 hour days. For the months of April through October, this position will usually work Tuesday through Saturday/Sunday. The work day will start between 7:00 and 8:30am (depending on the time of year and site needs).
For the months of November through March, this position will usually work Monday through Friday.
1. Bachelor’s/Associate's degree in horticulture/agriculture/forestry/related field OR
2. 1-2 years of professional gardening/agriculture/farming/green-house experience with basic plant knowledge
3. Good written and verbal communication skills.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift, push, pull, and carry items up to 50 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits
• The salary for this position is $40,000.00/ year.
• This position receives 12 paid holidays, 7 days of personal leave & accrues 10 days of annual leave per year.
• This position is eligible to participate in London Town’s retirement plan, flexible spending account plan, and buy into our group-rate health insurance and supplemental insurance.
Applicants: Send email expressing your interest in this position along with resume to Meenal Harankhedkar, Director of Horticulture at: email@example.com